June 25, 2010

Wine anyone? or Project Backdate #6


Jay and I elected to call our Sonoma trip a very large date. And it was. Based just on the picture above!

On Thursday, we drove up to Sonoma with one grandmother, two cars, a pack n play, 2 babies, a cooler of food, and Finding Nemo playing on the DVD player. After stopping at Ravenswood (who doesn't like their Zins?), we found our house, and were so delighted to find fresh flowers and a bottle of champagne in a lovely home.

Jay and I had a busy day on Friday, starting with a cave tour at Schramsberg, that ended with 4 half-glasses of champagne, and a Cab. Next stop was Rombauer, where I had not one, but four Zins that were fabulous!! I became a "Joy of Zinfandel" cub member...can't wait till January. Then onto Chateau Montelana, for the famous Chardonnay. And found out that unlike in the movie Bottle Shock, the wine didn't actually turn brown.

It was time to leave Napa, and move to Sonoma. We first went to Dry Creek, then Passalacqua (where I still have fond memories of the bathroom from 5 years ago...it was still lovely, and functional!).

Two more wineries to go. Lambert Bridge, with sweet Gus (the dog) and another wine club membership, and finally Quivera, where Jay was very impressed with the full solar panels, and our very helpful bartender who talked food and wine with us nonstop.

Saturday had fewer wineries, but more per hour! Wellington, Loxton, VBJ, Landmark, and finally Enikdu (which is a character from the poem Epic of Gilgamesh).


It was a wonderful, fun holiday, and Jay and I had so much fun exploring Sonoma and Napa, and the wines. One of favorite things to do. Once again, all I can say is thank you to my mother for the babysitting, and to Jay spending the time with me.





0 comments: