May 10, 2008

2 Sets are Better Than 1!

It really is true that 2 sets of hands are better than 1. Yesterday, Jason and I took Charlie into his pediatrician's for his 4 month well baby visit. This is one of the appointments where the nurse asks a bunch of developmental questions (can he roll over, is he grasping at items, can he track a toy, etc.), and Charlie gets weighed and measured for length and head circumference. And the big part--the SHOTS...Cue in the scary music.

At Charlie's 2 month appointment (same as 4 month, just a younger baby), I was alone. And talk about difficult. It was hard to focus on answering the nurse's questions while I was undressing Charlie, and then holding him and keeping him entertained while the doctor says, "So, do you have any questions for me?" Uhhhh...I was holding a screaming naked baby, wracking my brain for:
1) why was Charlie screaming?
2) would it be ok to ask the doctor, why is Charlie screaming?
3) how do I make Charlie stop screaming?
4) ways to feel cool, composed, and a like a mom from a "Friends" episode, and not a mom from a "Super Nanny" episode

Questions? Questions? I was supposed to come armed with questions? Didn't the doctor have the answers? Wasn't he supposed to assess my child and tell me what I was doing right, wrong, and what to do better? And by the way, wasn't it obvious what my question was?

Now, I need to state, that I love Charlie's pediatrician. Dr. Flanzbaum is awesome. Truly. He's down to earth, and truthfully, he reminds me a combination of my 2 favorite pediatricians as a child, Dr. Farish and Dr. Davis. He gives recommendations, and his opinions, but does listen to what I have to say, and what I think. That is, when I can think of something to say.

Fast forward 2 months. With Jason assisting (remember, as Hannah would say "Mommy's the queen and Daddy's the helper), I felt like a cool collected mom, perhaps Miranda from Sex and the City, minus the good shoes and handbag?

We could easily tag team with Charlie...Jason undressed him while I answered the nurse's questions. I entertained him while Jason held him. I bounced him on my lap while Jason dove for flying projectile pacis.

And this time, when Dr. Flanzbaum asked if I had any questions...I knew what to say. No. And not because I was more worried about Charlie puking on my shirt than finding a moment to think of pertinent questions.

And speaking of 2 sets...2 sets of brains are better than 1 as well. When you a new addition to your family, you have to start thinking of things like whether to use cloth or disposable diapers, sleep schedules, and vaccinations. It's really scary all the decisions you have to start making.

I am putting Charlie on an alternative schedule for vaccinations, which just basically means that he gets his shots not all at the same time. So instead getting DTaP, Polio, HepB, HIB, Pneumococcal, and Rotavirus all at once, we will be spacing these out over a period of time. I am late in starting the schedule, so at 2 months, he DID get all of those, but at 4 months, I elected to only have him get the DTaP and Rotavirus. At 5 months, I will take him back in for Pneumo and HIB. And the list continues....

Don't get me wrong, I think vaccinations are necessary, and I fully believe in immunizations. However, there is nothing wrong with prudence and precaution. Dr. Sears, who wrote the book, The Vaccine Book: Making the Right Decision for Your Child, gives several good reasons about chemical exposure, aluminum exposure, and limiting to 2 vaccines at a time to limit possible side effects. He has several other good reasons, but mainly, I figure, it can't hurt to spread them out. I will most likely skip the chickenpox vaccine though.

So, our little guy got the 2 vaccinations, and screamed bloody murder throughout the shot and afterwards, but came home and slept 40 minutes in his swing. And then, he was a happy camper. That just makes everything better!

Charlie Stats @ 4 months:
Weight: 14 lb, 1 oz
Height/Length: 25 inches
Head Circumference: 42 cm

0 comments: