March 16, 2010

Still traveling....Part 3

11) Schedule, schedule, schedule. Everything is going to be a little wacky while you are traveling or on vacation. That's expected, especially on the actual travel days. But, as soon as you can, meaning, when you get into town, or the following day, get back on schedule. Make bedtimes the same or within the hour. Still do naps or quiet time at the same time that you normally do. If you change time zones, then follow the time zone you are in, asap! Don't be thinking, "well, it's only 5pm at home, we don't need to go to bed." Yeah, you do. If your kid knew to thank you, he or she would. It might put a kink in your perfectly scheduled day, but you will have a happier child during the times they are awake for!

12) Acceptance Lesson #2! It is important for me to say that the first time I traveled with my (at the time only) child, I just didn't realize that doing late dinners, and have drinks in the bar, weren't an option anymore. I knew, but it didn't register, until I actually got there, and we were rushing around for dinner at 5pm, so we could be back for bedtime at 7pm. I definitely miss those leisurely dinners and late night outings, but I have resigned myself to the fact that this is part of "traveling and vacationing as a family." I think all parents should remember that, and if that doesn't work for you, bring the grandparents, a babysitter, or don't bring your kids!

13) Mommy Juice. In light of #12, we bring several bottles of wine, or order/buy some when we get here. That way we can enjoy a glass of vino after the kids go to bed, and even better, in our pajamas! :)

14) Forget the heels. Ok, maybe I shouldn't say that. Perhaps what I should is, forget the red satin stilettos. Unless, of course, you have a date planned, and you are leavin' the kiddos behind. And if so, I will say, you lucky duck! All my shoes are "heeled" so I can't say that I leave my heels behind. I am a firm believer that just because you have kids doesn't mean you shouldn't look great yourself! But dressy "$100 per plate" clothes are probably unnecessary, unless you typically dine at places like that, even with your children in tow. And if so, more power to ya!

15) Plan sparingly, and have back-up plans. If you are anything like me, you have a list of things to do, places to go, and restaurants to try, a mile long. Take a deep breath, and mark out 90% of them. Will your 2 year old, really like the Civil War Museum? Are there things for her to do while you wine taste? There is nothing wrong with those choices, but if you know a place you want to go is probably not going to suit your child, consider making it a shorter visit, and don't do multiple "non-interested" places in a row. AND, have something else to entertain your child, while you enjoy the walking tour through the Flower Garden. Finally, if your outings include outdoor places, and Mother Nature decides to bestow rain on you, for half your week, find out where indoor parks are. Utilize your heated indoor pool at your hotel! Save the children's museum for the cloudier day of your visit.

And finally,

16) Enjoy your kids. If all you end up doing is lounging in your hotel, at the pool, and ordering room service, who cares, as long as you are having fun, and so are your kids, and hopefully both "funs" are interacting!

2 comments:

allisonwardrip said...

I love all the traveling tips. This should be published in a parenting magazine or something. You really have a knack for writing in a way that's informative, insightful, and funny. :)

EP said...

Thanks Allison...That's really sweet!