June 7, 2007

Not showing?

So, today at my clinical team meeting, there were 2 girls who are both pregnant. And they are both showing--at 8 and 10 weeks. It made me wonder if I am supposed to be showing. I don't really think I am showing at all. I guess I could be delusional though. Jason is convinced that I have created a "small" baby. Like this is my fault. But this is someone who thinks Jack Sheppard Jeffries and Neo Maximus Jeffries are great names. Perhaps I shouldn't be too surprised.

No one at work knows yet, and I plan to keep it that way as long as possible. So, I will take not showing as a good sign, and not bad.

Also, I talked to a friend of mine from grad school, whom I have not spoken with in several years, and she has a little one named Liam. She and I were talking of the strategies she gives parents she works with (she works with preschool children with disabilities) and how frustrated she gets when they don't follow through, or refuse to try strategies because "I don't want my child to cry." Then she proceeded to tell me how her little one won't sleep through the night, and she is opposed to the "let him cry it out" technique. We had a good laugh over that one.

It has been said that the best behavior analysts are poor parents. Or at least not very good at following their own advice. I certainly hope I am not like that...though, I am beginning to have my doubts.

And on that note, I am one step closer to being a BCBA (Board Certified Behavior Analyst). I finished that stupid class I was taking at SDSU about a month ago (and made an A). Tomorrow, I will send off my application to take the exam, along with a hefty part of my paycheck. I won't disgust you with how much this Board is making off me, and all the other schmucks like me that need this certification. Then I will take the test in August, and please, please, I will pass!

Alright, enough about the rigors of testing and school. Some of you are finished and not desirous to read anything about school right now.

So with that, goodnight and much love from ep and bump

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I suppose people don't want their children to be like other children in terms of their shared relationship. So, instead of doing what professionally seems right, they unconsciously do what is not that...which can end up being the 'wrong' thing. :D I think you'll be fine though!

Love you, and love to bump!

Lori said...

Hey, Elizabeth. The women at work, are these their first babies? I found with myself that I didn't show until 5 months with you. But with every baby I had after that, I showed sooner and sooner. But it doesn't really matter.
And discipline from your gut. If you think the "experts" are overboard, they propably are. I found that with y'all I had to mix the "expert" with the "momma'pert".
Also, you cannot spoil an infant by cuddling them and holding them. However, if a baby is sleeping through the night and then suddenly wakes up, not hungry, wet, or sick, they want to play. You on the other hand want to sleep. I laid y'all back down and soothed you and left the room. The baby may whine some, but will learn to self-soothe. If you pick the baby up and play with him/her, the baby will expect it every night. As you did, when you about 5 to 6 months old. :)
And lastly, choose your battles with your children. The thing is if you offer an ultimatum, you better be willing to carry it through, sometimes more painful on the parent than the child.
Love you so much,
MOM