June 24, 2008

A dedication to 6 hours of sleep....

For those of you who don't have kids...when you do, you will understand. Obviously before I had Charlie, I "understood" that I sleep would not longer be calm and uninterrupted. I knew I would be up multiple times a night, even well into the middle of his first year of life.

What I didn't realize was to the extent that sleep became a luxury, and a privilege. For so long, I have been getting up 1-2x a night...At least since Charlie was 3 months old. Usually only one time, anywhere between 2 and 4, and I sleep walk through the routine. Hear Charlie cry. Look at the clock. Register the time. If between 2 and 4, get up. Go to the bathroom. If still crying by the time I get out, go get him. Pick Charlie up. Find paci and giraffe in the dark. Take Charlie to the chair. Attempt to finagle clothing, Charlie, paci, and giraffe, in order to get Charlie to nurse. Attempt to adjust Charlie in order to angle body in order to attempt to snooze for 10-15 minutes while he eats. Be unsuccessful. Drop paci at least once. Attempt to retrieve with feet, 50% of time successfully. Realize Charlie is finished and napping. Pop in paci and gently move him to the upright position, to attempt to burp. Burping usually unsuccessful. Gain sense of peace having him sleep on my chest for a few minute. Move him to the crib. Stumble back to bed. Lay in bed for 5-10 minutes listening for his cries. Curse the fact that I am now more awake than I was 15 minutes ago. Finally fall asleep in 30 minutes.

Needless to say, anything more than 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep is amazing. So imagine my surprise when Charlie slept through the night, not one, but two nights in a row. I have not felt so refreshed in the morning in so long. It was an amazing feeling. To sleep til 8am would be almost sinful, but sleeping from 11pm to 6am is blissful.

I know parents tell parents to be and people without children, "enjoy your sleep now," etc. But it is true. I guess I just thought I would get it back sooner. Jason has, but not me. And so I am reveling in this new sleeping through the night. Even if it only happens a couple times a week.

Elizabeth

2 comments:

Lori said...

Hey, Elizabeth. Enjoyed your post. Yea for you and Charlie, two nights in a row! That feat is truly a mile stone for the two of you. Hope you see many more nights like that to come.
Love,
MOM

Unknown said...

Yay! I'm glad your chances of sleep are greater now. I saw the pictures you posted; they are SO cute! I'm jealous of Mom, getting to see Charlie (and you and Jason, of course ;D) tomorrow. See you in two weeks!