January 15, 2010

In Defense of...


With only a few days until Baby Girl arrives, I have once again, well actually twice today, been confronted with the topic of a baby shower.

Or in my case, a lack thereof. Yes, with this little one, I never had a baby shower. I only had one with Charlie, unlike some people who end up having 2 or 3, or even more.

Don't get me wrong--I have no problem with multiple showers, or showers for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc., kid. It just was not in the cards for me.

I do have a problem with the huge intake of breath from those who I tell that I did not have a shower, and this look as if I have suddenly become a leper right before their very eyes. I want to ask, "What would you like me to do about it? Throw myself a shower?"

Talk about Emily Post rolling over in her grave. In fact, although I would enjoy a gathering of friends and family, and who can honestly say that they don't like presents, I did not need much at all for this baby. The things I needed were things to decorate the room with, and some baby clothes. I had burp clothes, a swing, a carrier, slings, a crib, a rocker, etc. Everything was gender neutral for Charlie, so I was good to go for this one. I am cloth diapering, so I didn't need diapers. Wipes I already buy for Charlie, so nope. A couple of pacis, and a few new receiving blankets, and I am ready for this baby.

Honestly, between this topic, and my C-section, I swear like I am constantly defending myself regarding this pregnancy. Lord help me when people find out that I fully vaccinate, let my baby CIO, cloth diaper, AND refuse to give baby food. It will only get worse! :)

5 comments:

allisonwardrip said...

You are hysterical! :) Just a few more days...eeeeekk!! I hope everything goes smoothly and I can't wait to see pics of your little girl!!

Kimberly Michelle said...

:) I hear ya sister! Everytime the "no shower" topic pops up, people are just astounded. I quell them with the "sip and see" announcement, but still, they don't get it.

www.kimberlymichelle.com

Michael Kaeser said...

OMG!! How dare you want to protect your child from polio.

Michele Reed said...

Ha Ha, I'm so sorry I was one of THOSE people!!!! In my defense however, I did offer to throw you one and instead we did fondue, Yeah! for fondue. I can't wait to meet precious : ) Hopefully soon : )

EP said...

Michele, you were hardly the problem! It was more than a handful of other people. I much preferred our fondue evening out :)