January 26, 2010

Lillian's first week, and our first days as parents of two

I thought I knew what I needed to know when Lillian arrived in this world, with a slight cry. After all, a baby is a baby, correct? How wrong was I.

Lily is a beautiful baby girl, even with 2 bent ears from being lodged under my pelvic bone. She has 10 fingers and 10 toes, has yellow seedy diapers, and hardly any hair. And besides the obvious difference of she having girl parts and Charlie having boy parts, they are like 2 separate creatures.

And she sleeps, and sleeps, and sleeps. She latches onto my breast easily. She cries, but not hysterically. I feel as if she is my first, and everything I learned and did with Charlie needs to be thrown out the window, and I have to start all over again from scratch.



Don't get me wrong. I am loving every second (well, almost every second) of being a parent to two, and having a precious bundle of little girl. However, I am overly emotional at feeling completely out of my comfort zone with this new baby.



Jason is an amazing father, and in fact, was called "super dad" by all the nurses at the hospital. He took over with Lily especially those first 12-18 hours when I couldn't get out of bed, and still had the IV bag attached. He is always willing to jump in (or out of bed) to get Lily, change a diaper, rock her to sleep, or run around with Charlie. I feel so blessed to have him for a husband, and a equal partner in raising, caring for, and playing with our children.


Sleeping with Daddy

It is moments like these, when I see despite how tired he is, he still gets up to soothe a crying Lily, or rearrange Charlie in his bed at 3am, that I know all will be well, and together we will figure out this 2-kid deal, with minor bumps in the road.



Playground time ("Clean off. It's wet!") and Taking the big steps!



Papa and Gran Gran reading Charlie a bedtime story...or Charlie reading it to them!


Lillian (1 week old)

1 comments:

sylsumida said...

She is precious! I am sure you are exhausted. I hope you are getting lots of much needed rest. I know first hand how wonderful you are with kids and think Charlie and Lillian are two of the luckiest kids ever!