April 2, 2010

pop, pop, pop the popcorn

Today, my father, deemed "Gran-Gran," "Granddaddy," and "Gran-Man" by Charlie, made popcorn with Charlie in our popper.  My father believes that the electric popper is the best because it uses less oil, doesn't burn the kernels, and keeps the popcorn from becoming soggy.  And the most important rule is to ONLY use Orville Redenbacher's Gourmet Popping Corn.


So, Charlie, who loves popcorn as much as my father does, experienced for the first time, the whir of the dasher spinning, and the anticipation of the first kernel popping.  Watching it, I had a sense of dejavu, remembering Daddy making popcorn on Sunday nights before Star Trek came on TV. 



And Charlie literally jumped up on chair when the first kernel popped, and laughed as the bowl filled up.


So Charlie was able to enjoy a bowl (or two) of the only popcorn my father considers real, with his grandfather.  An afternoon to remember. 




2 comments:

Michele Reed said...

OMW, I LOVE your new blog layout, adorable and so personalized : D

EP said...

Thanks Michele! I was bored, so this is what I came up with :)