April 30, 2010

A week in front of the potty...


 It's been toilet training week in the Jeffries-Peace household, and I would be lying if I said that it has been "fun" or "easy."  But, the anticipation of much fewer diapers, is more than exciting, and Charlie has done very well, overall.

Once again, I am awed by how different it is (i.e. my complete lack of patience) when working on a skill with my OWN child.  The incessant whining and screaming were enough to drive me up the wall, and trying to nurse Lily and put Charlie on the potty seat...well, there should be some sort of Olympic event for that, and I know I would win at least a bronze...

As preparation for those of you who have yet to complete this arduous task, may I suggest the following items:

1) several pillows for the bathroom, for your bum, where you will spend so much time sitting on the floor, waiting and waiting, for the moment of the tinkle of pee.
2) Excedrin Migraine...or in my case, since I am breastfeeding, Advil.
3) Breastfeeding aside, stock up on your favorite wine or beer.  It was a needed relief after bedtime.
4) Something to read...hook your iphone or BB up with internet access, and find some fanfiction, download an audiobook to your iPod, or a book to your Kindle.  Again, you need something to do, while waiting hours for the moment of trimuph.
5) Stock up on reinforcers for the kiddo.  Dibs ice cream snacks and mini Oreos, and doses of the favorite movies, are our high ticket items.
6) And of course, the obvious, cool underwear.  Because who wouldn't want to wear Buzz Lightyear on their bum? 

So, we are on Day 4, and have made it through a Costco run, and 2 trips to the bathroom and 6 mini M&Ms later, Jay and I called it a successful hour long outing.


 As a reward for doing so well with the potty training, Charlie received some "Nemo" chucks, and he loves them, especially when only wearing his boxer briefs. :)




1 comments:

Michele Reed said...

Awesome, way to go guys!!!!