November 18, 2010

The best chili I have ever made...

Now, I normally don't toot my own horn about cooking, because although I love to cook, it's currently more for "function than fashion," so to speak.  By 5pm, I have two whiny, hungry babies, and by 5:30pm, I have one grumpy hungry husband.  Forget gourmet, just get the food on the table.  Not to mention the fact that although I can follow a recipe like nobody's business, creating food without recipes is a frightening concept for me. (Did I ever tell anyone about my nightmare about being on Top Chef?)

This week, I had planned on leftovers one night, and there were none (amazingly enough), so yesterday morning I was faced with the "what's for supper?" question.  I have no idea where the idea of chili came from, since Jason still cringes a bit whenever I say chili due to a past food poisoning experience with it (not mine!).

I will be perfectly honest.  I have always made chili from the McCormick seasoning pack, and it's always been fine.  But there was no way I was running to Safeway or any other grocery store with two kids for a packet that could fit in my back pocket that costs $2.  I knew I had beef in the freezer, kidney beans and tomatoes in the cupboard, and plenty of spices.  Time to do a little interweb investigation.  

Like normal, I hit up my favorite sites, but no recipes were doing it for me, so I searched around for a chili seasoning recipe.  Bingo!  Now, I just played around with measurements and ingredients, and created what I think is the best chili I have ever made.  And it was ready in 35 minutes, though I let it simmer longer waiting on the husband to grace us with his presence.  

We ate it up faster than I could get pictures, so here's one of what was left going to work with Jason this morning.  And when I say "we," I do actually mean that.  Lily and Charlie scarfed it up too.  



And because I think recipes are knowledge and meant to be shared...here it is!

EP's {Totally Awesome} Chili

Ingredients
1 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 Tbsp crushed red pepper
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp ground black pepper

1 lb ground beef
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1/2-1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 medium onion, diced fine
2 garlic cloves, minced

Preparation
1) Mix all seasonings together in a small bowl.  Set aside.
2) Brown ground beef in small amount (about 1 tsp) oil (I used EVOO), on medium to medium high heat.  When almost all the pink is gone, add onions and garlic, and saute for 5-8 minutes.
3) Add beans, tomatoes, and seasoning mix (which should be about 2 Tbsp).  Stir until well combined, and slowly add tomato sauce and tomato paste until desired consistency is reached.
4) Bring to a simmer, and simmer for about 20 minutes.

Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, and scallions, or whatever toppings you like!

**Change out beans as to suit your taste.  
**Reduce amount of crushed red pepper if you would prefer less spice.  
**Tomato paste and sauce are a matter of preference.  Wait and see the thickness of the chili before adding it. You may not need it/want it. 
**If you don't have fresh onion and garlic on hand, you could substitute dried minced garlic and minced onion, about 1/2 Tbsp of each, I would think. Though the fresh always tastes better, I believe.

0 comments: