December 17, 2010

Lesson Learning (Reverb 10)


December 17 prompt: Lesson Learned What was the best thing you learned about yourself this past year? And how will you apply that lesson going forward? (Author: Tara Weaver)
That I'm better at doing my job with other kids than I am at doing my job with my own children.  It wasn't surprising lesson or unexpected, but definitely realized.  I kinda knew deep down during the first two years with Charlie that this was the case, but since I worked full time, and he was at school at least 40 hours a week, I didn't really get to experience my complete "full of fail" that I was at parenting. It wasn't until I had to spent every waking minute with not only one child, but two, and they were both my own, that I fully comprehended the phrase, "It's easier said than done."

I have always told parents that I work with that it's easier for me to tell them what to do, than it will be for them to actually follow through.  But that comment hit me full on come February and March of this past year.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I honestly think I do a pretty darn good job of parenting, compared to some things I see.  But, if these weren't my own kids, I'd probably be doing better, MUCH better.

What have I taken from it?  There's something between a parent and a child that is much different than between a caregiver/teacher/mentor and a child.  And that's ok.  I have learned to roll with things much more easily than I did when I just had one child, and was only having to "parent" Friday through Sunday and in the evenings.  And somehow, I am nearly 100% sure my kiddos will come out just fine.  Even if I turn into crazy dragon momma every once in awhile!

1 comments:

Audrey said...

DRAGON! RAHHHHH! ;)