February 9, 2010

Buggy Dilemma

Today, as I went into Costco, and then Target, alone, for the first time with 2 children, I realized the near impossibility of shopping with multiple offspring.

I stood in front of the buggy holding Lily's carrier, my other arm being pulled out of it's socket by Charlie, and my purse dangling around my wrist, pondering what to do. Did I put Charlie in the front, and Lily's carrier in the back, stuffing groceries and other items around her seat? Did I flip the two children, and put Charlie in the back, and Lily up front? Did I put them together in the back (only really an option at Target)?



Each had it's own possible (and known!) complications. Charlie in back with Lily would mean he was "helping" with her, trying to give her a paci (i.e. stuff it in her face), and "sharing" his cars with her (i.e. throwing them at her). Lily in the back would mean her rocking around, unstable.

In the end, Charlie decided for me. "Momma, back of buggy," as he started climbing into the buggy alone. Of course, the issues that arose from Charlie in the back and Lily in the front meant me almost taking out several people due to not being able to see over Lily's carrier, and Charlie "assisting" in not only filling up the buggy with whatever he could reach from the back, as well as playing with all the items I had put back there. This means, Uncle John, your birthday card is...well-loved...from Charlie wanting to "read the book" that I put in the buggy. And at check out, I ended up with a tub of lipstick, post-it notes, and a soap dish that were carefully chosen for me by my son. Thankfully, the Target cashiers are very kind about taking back unwanted items.

So, for at least the next 6 months, we will continue in this manner. Once Lily is able to support herself and sit up unassisted, however, then the inevitable "I want that side," "it's mine," and "don't touch me," is sure to ensue. When one problem is solved, another one occurs.

4 comments:

Michele Reed said...

I am totally cracking up reading this because, I think you just went through what every mommy with 2 goes through the first time they go the store "alone". It's not that I'm laughing not at you but with you, LOVE it

EP said...

It was amusing...watching myself. Of course, what seemed like an eternity of debating ended up being about 5 seconds, since Charlie made my decision for me :)

Audrey said...

:) It is hard. I try to keep Maggie in the sling, but it leaves my physical leverage with Lorelei severely limited, a huge liability when she has a throw down tantrum and I have to move her.

EP said...

Audrey, yes, I forgot to include the sling as an option. I had one in the car, but since I am learning impaired (apparently) when it comes to using one, I probably subconsciously left it out! I really need to figure it how to use them, so babies don't scream when in them!