February 26, 2010

Happy, happy birthday...In spades!


Birthdays are just a comin' around here.

Jay celebrated his 32nd birthday yesterday, on the 27th, and we enjoyed it by basically doing nothing! We went for a lovely walk in the morning down the Arroyo Mocho trail, and then stopped by the library for a few books for Charlie. And the rest of the day was spent relaxing, reading, and having a supper of pulled pork and mac n cheese.

I also was determined to make a chocolate cake that was actually moist, and I think I found the recipe! Obviously, oil is the key to a moister cake, or buttermilk, and this one called for oil. I do I think I ended up cooking the cakes a smidge too long, perhaps only a couple of minutes, but overall it was a beautiful 3 layer cake that was moist and chocolaty. I used a simple vanilla buttercream icing, that I tweaked because I did not have an vanilla bean paste, but I think next time I will drive the distance to find it, to enhance the flavor.



And, as a lovely surprise earlier this week, our good friends, Kim and Chris, welcomed their first child into the world. Lovely little Lena Marie entered our world on February 25th, is quite the beauty. We are so happy for the both of them, and cannot wait to meet her! Congratulations and enjoy every moment with her :)

4 comments:

sylsumida said...

That cake looks delicious!

EP said...

It really was :)

Kim M said...

Awww thanks EP! We can't wait to meet Lily!! Hopefully the big b-day celebration will be the perfect chance!

Lori said...

The cake is beautiful. And it looks yummy too. I know Jason enjoyed it very much.