February 1, 2010

Cord Stump and Cord Blood

Today's the day. I have been told that I have to decide whether we keep Lily's cord blood or not by today. I could probably wheedle another 5-7 days out of the guy, but honestly, Jay and I just need to decide.

We did not go through this process with Charlie, and thought it would be beneficial to do with Lily, and so I contacted CBR (Cord Blood Registry) and signed up. However, in the collection, only 75 million nucleated cells were collected, much lower than their current minimum threshold of 100 million. I have been told by Lily and Charlie's pediatrician that the banks like to collect at least 300 million. So this leaves Jason and I with the decision of whether to "trash" the collected cells and get a refund, or continue to pay the initial fee and annual banking fee, and say a prayer first and foremost that these cells are not needed, and if they are, that stem cell expansion has become FDA approved and successful.

So on the day that Lily's cord stump fell off, we must decide if we want to bank her cord blood or not. A rather weighty decision when it comes to unlimited possibilities about your child's possible future health.

1 comments:

allisonwardrip said...

Yes, it is a weighty decision. We went around and around about this before Keira was born and eventually decided it just wasn't financially feasible. :(