February 15, 2010

Third Year's A Charm


Valentines Day has never been a holiday (and I am loathe to call it that) that has been celebrated in this household. Jason will admit that he does not buy into this made up day that requires gifts of jewelry and flowers. And I can attest to his lack of participation. I have accepted this, when it was just the two of us.

However, once I had a baby, I will admit that my heart hurt when my baby did not give me a card. Jason was surprised to hear that this was something that he needed to do "for" Charlie. Valentines, Mother's Days, birthdays were missed, and I had been resigned to Jason "forgetting" them, but Charlie? Not that I blamed Charlie.

So this year, I expected nothing from Jason, and therefore from my children. And honestly, I would have been fine with that. Just being together as a family was good enough for me.

But imagine my surprise when Charlie came padding into our room (for the second time) carrying an iris and a card, and handing them to me while I lay in bed, half awake. I was truly touched, and surprised.

And later to find a vase full of lilies and irises from, as Jason put it, "your children." I was told that "they" wanted to get me flowers. :)

But even better, I found out that besides the obvious correlation between the lilies being from Lily, Jason had chosen the irises with purpose to be from Charlie. Charlie's irises are the deep blue that matches the beautiful flowers sitting on my kitchen table.

When Jason makes an effort, he does not half-ass it. Simple as that. I love you sug.